Students at Key Stage 4 produce work of an excellent quality and expectations are high. This is evident through the work displayed.
All students are entered for the AQA GCSE Art and Design examination. The Course requires the student to create a series of pieces of work that will form a portfolio of coursework, including a major personal project. This work accounts for 60% of the final marks. The externally set assignment carried out towards the end of year 11 accounts for the remaining 40% of the marks.
During the course students are given the experience and opportunity to work in a number of different areas e.g. printing, sculpture, textiles, graphic design, drawing and painting. Students who are entered for the course will gain a grade provided they complete both components.
The schemes of work are planned to cover a wide variety of themes to enable students to focus on areas of interest and extend their own strengths. Looking at the work of other artists, designers and craftspeople is crucial in the development of ideas and students are expected to make written and verbal responses.