Our results this summer reflect the hard work, positive attitude and commitment to education shown by our students in all examination years. Once again we have witnessed some wonderful success stories where our students, through their sheer hard work and determination, have made outstanding progress and achieved very high standards.
Maths, English and the core subject area of Science are amongst the highest performing areas of the school.
When applying the new measures of the 2016 outcomes 65% of students achieved a grades A*- C in Maths and English. 71% of students achieved 5 A*-C grades in all subjects, achieving an average grade of a grade C. Progress 8 measures put the school slightly above all schools nationally.
In Maths three quarters of students made good progress when compared to government targets, with 76% of students achieving A*-C. In further Maths 27% of students achieved the top grades with 100% achieving A*-C grades.
In English both expected progress and better than expected progress was above national expectations with 70% of students achieving A*-C. In English Literature 82% of students achieved an A*-C grade with levels of progress well above national standards.
In Science 81% of students achieved A*-C with over 80% of the students taking at least two GCSE Sciences. Separate Sciences featured strongly with 86 of students achieving A*-C in Biology, 79% in Chemistry and 76% in Physics.
Overall, this is a promising set of results for our many students who will progress to study level 3 courses. Importantly every student left Year 11 with offers of employment with training, education or training. We continue to place a huge emphasis on measuring progress because this ensures that our students of all abilities are performing as well as they possibly can.
In the latest inspection by Ofsted, Howden has been judged a good school. The two day inspection took place in February and Ofsted wrote that:
- Outcomes are good because from their starting points, pupils make good progress in their subjects.
- Teachers’ clear explanations help pupils to settle quickly to the work that is to be done.
- Work set matches pupils’ needs and abilities and helps them make good progress.
- Pupils want to come to school and their attendance is above average.
- Behaviour around the school is good.
- Pupils respect each other, members of staff and the environment.
- The curriculum provides a wide range of subjects and activities that make a good contribution to pupils’ personal development and welfare.
- Senior leaders and middle leaders check the quality of teaching thoroughly and take action should it fall short of what is required.
- Governance is a strength of the school.
Or click here to visit the Ofsted website.
We are a friendly school with a distinct ethos. We are committed to engaging our key stakeholders – governors, staff, students, parents and carers and our local community – in the life of the school.
As ‘Team Howden’ we have already demonstrated that by working together we can maximise the learning experiences that we provide for our students. As a parent myself I can understand the importance of being able to send my child to a ‘Good’ school, and I would like to thank all of our parents for trusting us to be able to provide a high quality education for all our students.
Our aim remains ‘to become an outstanding’ school!
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and if you require any further information, or would like to visit us, please do contact us. Queries from parents and other members of the public should contact Mrs K. Gill